Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Knight in Shining Armour

Are women always looking to be rescued? Do we wait around for a "knight in shining armour" to come and "sweep us off our feet"? Are we always wanting someone to help us in life? Why is it that life is focused on marriage and babies? Some women wait around their whole lives for "Mr. Right", but what if he doesn't exist? Then what? What if your "Mr. Right" never comes along? What happens to the girl who's heart is broken by "Mr. Oh-So-Wrong" and then is afraid to wait again for that right guy to come along. What if my heart is broken too badly to alloy my eyes to be opened for the right one? Why does love and life and everything seem so complicated sometimes? Worry not, I know this, but wondering seems to creep into everyday life. What if all us girls deep down inside, no matter how independent we are, we are waiting for our "man in a shining car" to come along and "sweep us into their vehicle"? Maybe it's not like fairytales or storybooks or movies, but it's like life. And everyday I see women around me waiting for that one guy to make them feel alright. To make them want to continue on with life. I don't want to feel that way. I want him to be there when he is there. I want his love, but I want him to want to give it. I want care, and compassion and appreciation. I want my own version of "Mr. Right" and not "Mr. Rightnow." Maybe Cinderella would have been better if she hadn't had gone to the ball. She could have started her own business and gotten away from the evil step-mother sometime. Why did she have to be rescued by a man? Couldn't a girlfriend have helped her runaway? What if Aerial never had seen Eric and wanted to change into a human? Why can't we all just stay mermaids or more so the women we are and not worry about becoming human or wives or whatever we feel the need to be? I want to stay a mermaid, I want to be me. I don't want my life to be a Disney move, I want the real thing. I don't want the feeling of needing to be rescued, I want the feeling of living. I want the wind in my hair, excitement runing through me...all the joys of everyday without the wisper of a rescue needed. I want to be me.

No comments: