Monday, May 21, 2007

Living In A New World

I was thinking about how much life has changed since my family moved back from France. I remember at the time everything seemed so different from when we'd left. Which for those who don't know - the States are quite different than other countries. People just do things different, not necessarily bad nor good. But looking back SO much everything changed in a few years. When I was young we played outside - sticks, dirt and trees were our forts, weapons and horses. Now kids play Game Cube, XBOX or something of the sort. My nephew who's one-and-a-half knows my phone can take a picture or play music. My three-year-old sister will have me take a picture and ask me to put it on myspace! People set up dates online through eHarmony, Match.com instead of meeting someone and asking them on a date...or the good (very) old fashioned personalized dating service (lol...). People send evites for weddings (yes, Audrey! ), send texts to meet up with friends and communicate through email rather than calling and it's proper business protocol. I email with my co-workers 10 feet away constantly throughout the day. I get asked, "You want to text?" rather than asked on a date! We search through the internet coupons that are emailed to us instead of picking up the Sunday paper at the gas station or jump online to check movie times instead of the paper as well. We make plans with friends through text and email, rarely picking up the phone to actually call. Strange how a bit of "technology" changes our communication, which then changes our lives complete! I wonder what another 15 or so years will bring...

will we even speak to the family we live in the same home with?

No comments: