Friday, December 26, 2008

Three Nights to Change A Life

There was that night you stood by my chair. Sitting, standing, pestering. That one moment of hope you held on to. That one moment you asked, with a sparkle in your eye. I remember it so clearly. Though it was months ago, I feel like it was just yesterday. You asked and I, well, I just gave in. I felt like I was dragging my feet, like I was afraid of the inevitable...afraid of what I knew was to come. But I felt peace. A kiss on the cheek, “Good night” was said.
There was that night you stood at my door. And there I was standing behind it, just a bit afraid to open it...to open the future. Know what was coming. Sitting across from you, fear knotted in my stomach, surprise and excited filling my heart. Peace. That is when the peace came. I begged my heart not to believe it. I begged my soul not to know. But I knew and deep down I already believed it. A kiss to ring in a new beginning.
There was that night you stood beside me. You told me to take the chair. I was shaking and nervous, but not as much as you. Holding what I assumed to be mine, yet still not quite sure. Again, I knew what was coming…but I couldn’t let myself believe it. You said those words, six words that held such power. Peace came again. Of course. :) Of course was all I could say. And a kiss, a kiss to seal the deal.

No comments: